Many organisations have large databases in Access that have been built up over the years; staff have learned enough to build a database with a good relational structure, create forms to enter data and write queries to generate some useful reports. However, when databases get large, making your queries and forms effective can become more complex and it’s worth investing in an advanced Access training course to get the most out of your data and save time. In our Microsoft Access advanced course, students will learn how to analyse data by creating complex queries, how to make forms and reports more efficient, how to speed up repetitive tasks by creating macros.
Access 2019/365 – Level 2
Who should attend this course?
This course is aimed at people who will be required to create and manage database applications: sales managers, marketing managers, project managers, IT managers, etc.
Master the creation of tables (types and properties of fields). Master the basic principles of selection queries
This course provides participants with the skills necessary to create and manage a relational database in Access.
The objective of an Access Level 2 course is to go further into the functionality of the software. Learn to make more targeted queries, forms and more elaborate reports.
- Reminder of selection queries
- Analysis (database building)
- Advanced queries
- Data exchange
- Forms & Reports
If Access is an excellent relational database manager, the software has its limits of automation which can be exceeded via the addition of VBA and/or SQL. These two subjects are covered in other courses.
Reminder of selection queries
- Queries basic concept
- Using filters in queries (and/or, like, null, )
- Creating calculated fields (functions / formulas)
- Grouping and using statistics (sum, average, min, max, count)
Analysis (database building)
- Reminder of relational databases
- Understanding the necessity of relationships
- Knowing the 3 types of relationships (1 to 1, 1 to many, many to many)
- Understanding the concept of primary key and foreign key
- Mastering referential integrity
- Exercises :
- Analyzing relationships in an existing database
- Creating selection queries that use several tables
- Using action queries (make-table, update, append and delete queries)
- Defining join properties in a query
- Using find unmatched queries
- Using advanced functions in queries
- Creating a drop-down list for a « foreign key » field in a table
- Introduction to using SQL language (union query)
- Importing / Exporting (Excel, .txt)
- Sharing a database
- Introducing ODBC
Forms & Reports
- Mastering the various controls (list box, option group, check box,…)
- Mastering some forms and reports properties
- Mastering conditional formatting
- Understanding the purpose of macros
- Mastering the event concept in forms
- Using most frequently used actions in macros
Book your training
Enter your information to confirm your booking.