This course provides an understanding of software test management that goes beyond the ISTQB Foundation level. Test managers acquire a good level of knowledge enabling analysis of situations in order to present practical solutions. The information gained during this course offers a framework for test managers to build upon within their organisations. Spreadsheets, templates and utilities will be provided enabling managers to be more efficient and effective within their organisations. Following the ISTQB Foundation Certificate, the Advanced Test Manager Certificate provides the next level of knowledge and practical expertise in the ISTQB Advanced Certification scheme. It is one of three certified courses at Advanced level (the other two being Advanced Test Analyst and Advanced Technical Test Analyst). Live virtual class
ISTQB Advanced Test Manager (CTAL – TM)
Who should attend this course?
People who have experience in software testing and want to certify to a higher level. This includes test managers, test analysts, test engineers, but also project managers, quality managers and development managers.
Successful completion of the ISTQB Foundation Certificate is a pre-requisite to taking the ISTQB Advanced Certificate examination
An Advanced Test Manager can…
- Manage a testing project by implementing the mission, goals and testing processes established for the testing organization.
- Organize and lead risk identification and risk analysis sessions and use the results of such sessions for test estimation, planning, monitoring and control.
- Create and implement test plans consistent with organizational policies and test strategies.
- Continuously monitor and control the test activities to achieve project objectives.
- Assess and report relevant and timely test status to project stakeholders.
- Identify skills and resource gaps in their test team and participate in sourcing adequate resources.
- Identify and plan necessary skills development within their test team.
- Propose a business case for test activities which outlines the costs and benefits expected.
- Ensure proper communication within the test team and with other project stakeholders.
- Participate in and lead test process improvement initiatives.
- Test Planning, Monitoring and Control
- Test Analysis
- Test Design
- Test Implementation
- Test Execution
- Evaluating Exit
- Criteria and Reporting
- Test Closure Activities
- Test Management in Context
- Risk-Based Testing and Other Approaches for Test Prioritization and Effort
- Test Documentation and Other Work Products
- Test Estimation
- Defining and Using Test Metrics
- Business Value of Testing
- Distributed, Outsourced, and Insourced Testing
- Managing the Application of Industry Standards
- Management Reviews and Audits
- Managing Reviews
- Metrics for Reviews
- Managing Formal Reviews
- The Defect Lifecycle and the Software Development Lifecycle
- Defect Report Information
- Assessing Process Capability with Defect Report Information
Improving the Testing Process
- Test Improvement Process
- Improving the Test Process
- Improving the Test Process with TMMi
- Improving the Test Process with TPI Next
- Improving the Test Process with CTP
- Improving the Test Process with STEP
Test Tools and Automation
- Tool Selection
- Tool Lifecycle
- Tool Metrics
People Skills – Team Composition
- Individual Skills
- Test Team Dynamics
- Fitting Testing Within an Organization