The advanced course takes your WordPress skills to the next level. You will learn:
- how to build advanced websites for yourself and your clients
- how to customise and brand administration screens
- how to build an e-commerce site
- how to create events booking and membership sites
- how to build a truly unique theme using WordPress child theme capabilities
- how to choose the right production and marketing tools for your needs
After completing the class, you will have:
- The ability to install and configure WordPress on a hosting account
- Built an e-commerce site
- Customise administration themes, and built a child theme
- Learnt how to configure a WordPress multi-site
- Learnt how to choose the right marketing and monitoring tools
By the end of this course you will have the insight and skills to build sophisticated, branded and customised web sites for yourself and/or your clients.
This is a very practical hands-on course where you will complete exercises, ask questions and engage in discussions to make the most of the time.
- Overview of theme: Theme frameworks, child themes, and vertical themes
- Advanced theming: Anatomy of a child theme
- Exercise: Let’s create a child theme
- Functions.php: Media sizes and some useful snippets of PHP code
- Exercise: Beefing up Twenty Eleven
- E-commerce in-depth: Eshop and WooCommerce
- Event Management: Events, calendars and tickets
- Advanced content plugins: Types and views
- Multiple users in-depth: Adding workflow and responsibilities
- Multi-site and BuddyPress: Building a community or social network
- Third-party authentication: Logging-in with Facebook and Twitter
- Building a membership site: Overview and some useful plugins
- Production tools: Branding the admin screens
- Marketing tools: Stats, mailing lists, and more
- Enhancing the admin for your clients: Some useful tools and plugins
- Free for all, Q&A, show & tell
This course is aimed at those who’ve already got to grips with the WordPress CMS. You will need to have some programming know-how, but in-depth expertise isn’t essential.
This advanced course is ideal for those who are already comfortable building WordPress sites but are looking to work in the field professionally – perhaps wanting to make a living building WordPress sites or creating more advanced WordPress sites. It will help those wanting to take control of their current WordPress site and fully understand its capabilities. Marketing and promotional companies looking to take their clients’ sites further will also benefit, as well as those who want to bring their website creation and maintenance in-house.
You don’t need any programming experience, but a little CSS knowledge is useful. You need to know how to use a text editor and a FTP programme.
If you think this course is too advanced, please take a look at the Intermediate WordPress course.